SPRING PINK KAFTAN, explaining how to set the fabric

Many of you liked my kaftan making video and some of you were getting confused on how to set the fabric. I am sure there are other video of perfect drafting and pattern making. I shared a quick guide on a piece of paper so that some of you will get the idea of how I set the fabric and cut out the pieces. I'm not a professional, this is how I learn. Click to watch
TO SET THE FABRIC FOR THE KAFTAN
After getting my desired length I fold it in half lengthwise, with the wrong sides facing together. Then I fold it again, it now has four pieces of fabric in layers.

MARKING THE MEASUREMENTS ON THE KAFTAN
On the closed side of the fabric, I mark the wrist to wrist length, the front and back neckline. Then fitting measurements, that is bust, waist and hips.
In kaftan there are no cutting of armholes. To close up the sides, you want to leave an opening for your arms. I chose to mark 7-inch down from the shoulder seam, and 7-inch up from the bottom. I then draw a line with a marking tool on good side of the garment. Mark the same on the other piece of fabric also. Then stitch along each side of the kaftan.

BOTTOM CUTTING OF THE KAFTAN
To get the curved or umberalla shape at the bottom of the kaftan, take the tape measure from the top neckline to your desired length and move along the bottom edge of the garment. One more thing is that the width of the fabric will be going across your shoulders and down your arms, so the wider the fabric, the further down your arm the fabric will hang. You can read my previous post of making the Kaftan CLICK HERE. You can also watch a step by step guidance in my pattern drafting video.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

If you have any doubts, please let me know.

Blogger Template by pipdig